Embedding a File List
If your site uses the Attachment File List plugin, you can embed an automatically generated grid of file downloads on a page.
1. On the Content tab, in one of the editing regions panels, choose Display - File List as shown below. In addition there's a second place to choose if you want to display an Attachments File List (which will display every file attached that is "ticked").2. Under the "Show" menu type what items you want:
- Thumbnail - displays a cover graphic (essentially the first page of a PDF)
- Icon - an alternative to using the thumbnail this is a generic "file" image
- Title - displays the title text if you have filled-out that field
- Link - automatically will link to download the file
- Description - if text is included as a description to the file then it will be displayed here
- File details - the size specifications of the file attached - it's size in kilobytes.
3. The Columns field allows you to designate how many files sit side-by-side within the space. If you want to display three files across then select "3" columns.
Custom File Attachments
To specify a smaller subset of files then you can pick and choose files by choosing "Custom File List" and then picking the specific files you wish. Use the "plus" button on the right hand side to add extra files.
To utilise an embedded File List you first need to have uploaded the files to the page via the Attachments tab and optionally set an appropriate Title and Description for each file.
If you do not want a particular file to appear as a file download box on the public page, simply untick that file.
You can drag'n'drop to re-order / shuffle the files via clicking and dragging the grey strip on the left of each attachment. The order they are listed is the display order.
Once you've saved, view the page on the public site, and Millstream CMS will automatically do the following for you depending on what options you have chosen in the "Show" field:
- Display a grid with a thumbnail image of the document
- Any PDF file will automatically show the first page as the thumbnail
- Any images will be shown as the image
- Other files will simply show a generic icon
- If you enter a title in the attachment list, it can be shown
- If you enter a description in the attachment list it can be shown
- The filetype and file size can be shown
- A download button can be shown
Examples of how this feature can be used
A set of brochure downloads - in the example shown below the Show settings are Thumbnail, Title, Link, File details
Another set of brochure downloads - in this example the Show settings are Icon, Link, Title, and Description. This example the client has opted to have a bespoke icon design.